LENZERHEIDE/STUTTGART, April 17, 2017
Ahead of leaving for a four-week training camp in Dubai, Roger Federer met a group of journalists in his hometown Lenzerheide on Good Friday, talking about this year’s MercedesCup in Stuttgart as well as his decision about playing Roland Garros.
The ATP 250 grass court event is going to take place from 10 to 18 June and after Federer won the Australian Open and completed the Sunshine Double in Indian Wells and Miami earlier this year, the 35-year-old Swiss will arrive at the venue of the Tennis Club Weissenhof with a lot of confidence.
“On grass my expectations are always high. However, I expect a very competitive field in Stuttgart. I haven’t won the MercedesCup yet, to do so is a big goal this season,” the seven-time Wimbledon champion told.
Federer even considers to skip this year’s French Open in Roland Garros in order to focus on the grass court swing.
“We will decide on 10th May at the end of a training period in Dubai. I will sit together with my team and we will take a decision about playing on clay or not. It will depend on how I feel physically and mentally. My plan is to play Roland Garros but many things can happen before this date. I will travel to Dubai in the next few days. I will follow the results of the clay season but will not watch many matches on television. I have to be well prepared and feel the desire to play a tournament. I don’t play just for the purpose to take part.”
Federer lost to eventual champion Dominic Thiem from Austria in last year’s semi-final in Stuttgart.
“The enjoyed the great atmosphere at the TC Weissenhof, which was filled with life. This is not often the case on the tour. A lot of stadiums are only filled with life for the week of the tournament and there is not much happening at other times of the year. Unfortunately, I missed one match point in the encounter against Dominic last year, but it was a highly entertaining match for the spectators,” the Swiss maestro remembered.
Dimitrov To Play In Stuttgart
Federer will be joined by German veteran Tommy Haas as well as Bulgaria’s tennis star Grigor Dimitrov this year. The latter is currently ranked on World No. 11 and captured the titles in Brisbane and Sofia earlier this year. Dimitrov also made it to the semis of the Australian Open.
“Grigor is a very interesting player. I think that he still has a lot of potential for his future,” MercedesCup tournament director Edwin Weindorfer told.
This also means that all members of the “One Handed Backhand Boys” will come to Stuttgart. During this year’s BNP Paribas Open, the trio appeared in a video belting out a rendition of Chicago’s “Hard to Say I’m Sorry”, with Grammy Award-winning producer David Foster on the piano.
If there is happening a reunion this June, we will find out during the MercedesCup. For ticket information please visit the tournament’s official homepage.