STARNBERG, March 2, 2018
After reaching the semi-finals of the Abierto Mexicano TELCEL in Acapulco on Thursday, World No. 5 Alexander Zverev said that a “fight” between him and Juan Carlos Ferrero led to the end of their professional partnership.
The 2003 Roland Garros champion from Spain has been working as part of the German’s coaching team since July last year, but their collaboration ended right after the 2018 Australian Open, where Zverev lost in the third round to #NextGenATP champion Hyeon Chung.
“My team is exactly the same except Juan Carlos left,” Zverev told during a press conference in Mexico.
“We had a kind of a fight in Australia after the Australian Open, which is fine when it involves me and him. I have those kind of arguments [with other team members] and we are still working fine.
“That argument there involved my whole team and there was a moment where he was very disrespectful towards everybody in my team and that’s why I had to stop the relationship.”
— 👑 (@PrinceSascha123) 2. März 2018
Boris Becker will not join Zverev’s team.
“I’m not going to work with Boris Becker. This is a very big misunderstanding. He’s the head of men’s tennis in the German Federation so he’s going to be there at a few tournaments,” Zverev explained. “He’s always more than welcome on my court, to watch my matches, and that’s how this relationship is.”