VANCOUVER, July 21, 2018 (Press Release)
Organizers of the Odlum Brown VanOpen are pleased to announce that former world no. 38 and Vancouver’s own Rebecca Marino has confirmed her entry into the $200,000 USD event from August 11 – 19 at Hollyburn Country Club.
The 27-year-old made a comeback earlier this year after a five-year absence from professional tennis. She returned at a $15,000 ITF tournament in Turkey at the end of January and won the title without losing a set along the way. Marino reached the third round at Roland Garros in 2011 as well as the second round of the Aussie Open and Wimbledon that year.
She has two career victories over top-50 ranked players, including former World No. 7 Marion Bartoli and former World No. 9 Timea Bacsinszky. Marino was also named Tennis Canada Female Player of the Year in 2010 and 2011.
Marino is very familiar with the courts at Hollyburn Country Club. She first played at the Odlum Brown VanOpen as a 16-year-old in 2006 and returned to the tournament from 2007 to 2010, reaching the quarterfinals twice.
“Having the chance to play at home in Vancouver in front of my friends and family is a great opportunity, and I’m really excited to be there in August,” said Marino.
Marino started her comeback in January by winning 20 consecutive singles matches as she was victorious in claiming three ITF $15,000 titles.
“We are thrilled to have Rebecca back at the Odlum Brown VanOpen. Rebecca’s journey and story has been captivating, and to see the phenomenal results she is achieving after being away from the sport for so long is truly inspiring,” said Tournament Director Rik de Voest. “We are certain Rebecca will receive fantastic local support and look forward to watching her back in action at Hollyburn.”
Marino, whose ranking has climbed nearly 500 places since her return earlier this year, won the $25,000 Winnipeg National Bank Challenger earlier this month, becoming the first Canadian singles champion at the tournament.