URBANA, March 31, 2019 (Press Release)
The No. 14 Fighting Illini men’s tennis team swept the Nebraska Cornhuskers, 7-0, on Saturday afternoon inside Atkins Tennis Center. The Illini continues its winning streak against Big Red with an overall series record of 8-0. The last time Illinois had a complete 7-0 sweep was at head coach Brad Dancer’s alma mater, Michigan State, on April 16, 2017.
“Always good to get a Big Ten win. You can feel a difference with Nebraska’s team up and down the line with their new coach. Hats off to Sean (Maymi) and Tom (Boysen),” said associate head coach Marcos Asse. “I think the future is bright for their program.”
Illinois earned the doubles point with wins on courts one and two on Saturday afternoon. Junior pair Zeke Clark and Noe Khlif were the first ones off the court, with a 6-3 victory over Nebraska’s Micah Klousia and Victor Moreno Lozano, 6-3. This marks the duo’s second conference win of the season. Junior Aleks Kovacevic and sophomore Alex Brown clinched their second doubles point with a 6-4 victory over Toby Boyer and William Gleason on court one.
Brown was the first one off the court during singles play, defeating Micah Klousia in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. With a 6-1 singles record on the season, Khlif won over Chris Dean, 6-1, 6-2. The Frenchman is now 3-0 in conference play. Two-time Big Ten player of the Week, Kovacevic, clinched the match for the Illini with a 6-4, 6-1 win against Boyer in the No. 1 singles position. The New York Native is now an 11-0 on the season with nine wins in the No. 1 position.
The remaining singles matches played out. Shortly after Kovacevic, Clark defeated Gleason, 6-4, 6-0, picking up his third singles win in Big Ten play. The last two matches each ended with a third set tiebreaker with redshirt sophomore Gui Gomes earning back-to-back Big Ten singles wins, topping Isaac Nortey, 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (7). Freshman Keenan Mayo completed the Illinois sweep with a 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (7) victory over Victor Moreno Lozano.
A perfect Saturday Sweep! ☝️
— Illinois M Tennis (@IlliniMTennis) 30. März 2019
“We are looking at and preparing for tougher matches ahead with a big test against Iowa,” noted Asse.
Illinois returns to Atkins Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon at Noon CT for rising Big Ten opponent, the Iowa Hawkeyes. The Breakfast at Atkins theme will allow fans to enjoy some breakfast on the court.
- Illinois improves to 8-0 all-time against the Nebraska Cornhuskers.
- Junior Aleks Kovacevic has a 11-0 singles record with wins over six ranked opponents in 2019
- Kovacevic clinched the match for the Illini with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Toby Boyer in the No. 1 singles position.
- Redshirt sophomore Gui Gomes picked up his second conference win in singles play, defeating Isaac Nortey, 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (7).
- Junior Noe Khlif is 6-1 in singles play this season, including a perfect 3-0 in the Big Ten.
- Kovacevic and sophomore Alex Brown clinched their second doubles point in Big Ten play against Toby Boyer and William Gleason, 6-4.
- Junior duo Khlif and Zeke Clark picked up their second conference win as a team, defeating Micah Klousia and Victor Moreno Lozano, 6-3
#14 Illinois 7, Nebraska 0
Singles competition: Order of Finish (2,6,1,3,5,4)
1. #14 Aleks Kovacevic (UI) def. Toby Boyer (NEB) 6-4, 6-1
2. #31 Alex Brown (UI) def. Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-1, 6-1
3. Zeke Clark (UI) def. William Gleason (NEB) 6-4, 6-0
4. Keenan Mayo (UI) def. Victor Moreno Lozano (NEB) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (7)
5. Gui Gomes (UI) def. Isaac Nortey (NEB) 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (7)
6. Noe Khlif (UI) def. Chris Dean (NEB) 6-1, 6-2
Doubles competition: Order of finish (2,1)
1. Aleks Kovacevic/Alex Brown (UI) def. Toby Boyer/William Gleason (NEB) 6-4
2. Zeke Clark/Noe Khlif (UI) def. Micah Klousia/Victor Moreno Lozano (NEB) 6-3
3. Vuk Budic/Gui Gomes (UI) vs. Alvaro Moreno Lozano/Jon Meyer (NEB) 4-3, unfinished
Illinois 10-6; National ranking #14