LISBON, May 15, 2019
The Lisboa Belém Open has returned for a third edition to the clay courts of the CIF – Club International de Football this week. The first six players in the bottom half of the singles draw advanced to the third round on Tuesday.
No. 2 seed Roberto Carballés Baena had to work hard to earn a 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 win over Evgeny Karlovskiy of Russia. The 26-year-old Spaniard, who clinched the ATP Challenger title at the Murcia Open last month, won two points less than his opponent but prevailed after two hours and 27 minutes. Up next for Carballés Baena will be compatriot Bernabé Zapata Miralles, who fought past No. 14 seed Marc Polmans from Australia 6-3, 5-7, 6-4.
Elias forced to retire
Argentine Guido Andreozzi, No. 3 seed of the €46,600 event, benefited from the retirement of Gastao Elias from Portugal. The wild card entry of Lourinhã (Casal Novo), who resides in Florida, was leading 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 when he was forced to stop playing due to a left leg injury.
“It’s a bit frustrating because I felt like playing well,” Elias said. “After a complicated first set, I played the second set at great level and so I continued in the third. I hope to be soon back on the court.”
Andreozzi will next take on Enrique López Pérez of Spain, who beat 21-year-old Portuguese wild card Tiago Cação 7-6(5), 6-4. “It was a pretty even match but maybe his experience made the different in the end,” Cação commented afterwards.
It wasn’t easy but Enrique Lopez Perez gets it done. The 14th seed survives the upset against wild card Tiago Cação, wins 7-6(5), 6-4 to reach the third round.#LisboaBelémOpen | @ATPChallenger pic.twitter.com/N79uYdf940
— Lisboa Belém Open (@LisboaBelemOpen) 14. Mai 2019
Alexei Popyrin, who was awarded a main draw wild card into this year’s French Open, rallied past Norbert Gombos of Slovakia 6-7(4), 6-4, 6-2. The No. 5 seed from Australia sent down seven aces, winning 83 per cent of his first service points to secure victory in two hours and 14 minutes. Popyrin will next play Frenchman Elliot Benchetrit, who knocked off No. 9 seeded US-American Marcos Giron 7-6(5), 6-3.
Ferreira Silva advances to second round
Earlier in the day, Frederico Ferreira Silva delighted his home crowd by reaching the second round. The 24-year-old Portuguese defeated Canadian qualifier Steven Diez 7-6(3), 6-3. Ferreira Silva capitalized on five of his 16 break point chances to advance in one hour and 54 minutes.
“I am very pleased with my performance today,” Ferreira Silva said. “Playing with variety in my shots was key today.” The World No. 326 will next take on No. 7 seeded Spaniard Pedro Martínez.