VIENNA, April 1, 2016
During a press conference in Vienna on Friday, Austria’s number one Dominic Thiem officially confirmed his participation for the 72nd edition of the Generali Open in Kitzbühel, taking place from 18 to 23 July.
Due to the Olympic Games in Rio, the week is fully packed with four ATP events held at the same time. The world number 14 will not defend his titles in Umag and Gstaad in order to play his home tournament. The ATP 500 Citi Open in Washington is also not considered in his schedule.
“I want to win the chamois at least one time in my career,” Thiem told with regard to the special trophy, the champion receives in the “Gamsstadt”. He finished runner-up in 2014, losing the final to David Goffin and reached the semis last year. The 22-year-old will return to Kitzbühel for the seventh time.
“A lot of my personal milestones took place here,” he explained. “I played my first ever match on the ATP World Tour in Kitzbühel as well as my first final. I actually wanted to celebrate my first title here, too. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out but I want to lift the trophy at least once.”
Thiem has played a fabulous season so far with a 22-5 match record in 2016. “I do not have to defend so many points this year. Cracking the top 10 is my big dream,” he said and with the European clay court season just around the corner, there is a good chance that Thiem could achieve his goal soon.
“It is not self-evident for a player ranked that high to play an ATP 250 event. So we are very proud that Dominic will return to Kitzbühel,” tournament director Alexander Antonitsch told.
“We will continue with our consistent work from the last years. We want to further improve the comfort factor for fans and players. Our main assets are the tournament’s charm and the special atmosphere surrounded by an unique Alpine backdrop.”
Thiem agrees. “Playing in front of your home crowd is something really special. My familly and friends are here, giving me important support. The atmosphere in the past years was extraordinary and I hope that it will be like this in 2016 again. The tournament is not that huge, everything is calm and relaxed,” the youngster described.
About 40,000 people came to Kitzbühel during the tennis week last year. The tournament’s license holder Octagon extended the contract until 2025.
“We offer new travel packages and hope for another boost,” Antonitsch added. Ticket sales figures have already been higher than in the previous year and this without the announcement of the participation of the local hero. So further good news for Kitzbühel are still to come.
Tickets can be bought through the official website.