BORDEAUX, May 10, 2016
The €85,000 ATP Challenger BNP Paribas Primrose in Bordeaux is the ultimate test for the players to compete on French clay courts ahead of the start of the second major of the season at Roland Garros. The tournament’s ninth edition features a great line-up with eight competitors from the top 10 as well as a couple of the tour’s young guns.
The favourites, however, suffered an early defeat on Tuesday, as top-seed and world number 61 Diego Schwartzman lost his opening match to Mathias Bourgue. The 22-year-old French wild card fired eight aces and converted six of his 18 break point chances to celebrate one of his biggest wins in his career after two hours and 22 minutes. Bourgue will take on Steve Darcis next.
The tournament’s number three Adrian Mannarino fell to Thiago Monteiro 6-3, 1-6, 6-3. The in-form-Brazilian captured his maiden title on the ATP Challenger Tour, lifting the trophy in Aix-en-Provence only two days ago. Monteiro set a second round meeting with Máximo Gonzalez after one hour and 53 minutes.
“It was a great match against an excellent opponent. I fought for every point and could play without any pressure, as he was the favourite. I just played well,” Monteiro said.
Russian qualifier Daniil Medvedev took out fourth seed Taro Daniel, winning 7-6, 6-2. The 23-year-old Moscow native, who lives in France, saved all five break points he faced, converting two of his own to seal victory in one hour and 30 minutes.
“Although I was a bit tired after three matches, I am happy with this win today,” Medvedev told afterwards, facing Daniel Gimeno Traver next. The 30-year-old Spaniard rallied back from set down against US-American teenager Tommy Paul 5-7, 6-3, 6-3.
The rest of ATP’s Next Generation stars had a strong start into the tournament with Elias Ymer upsetting second favourite Lukas Rosol 6-4, 6-4. The 20-year-old from Sweden, who lost to the Czech at last year’s French Open and emerged victorious last week in Aix-en-Provence, saved both break points he faced, converting two of his own to set a second round clash with Roberto Carballés-Baena after one hour and 10 minutes.
Jared Donaldson knocked out eighth seed Thiemo de Bakker, winning 6-2, 6-4. The US-American teenager saved the only break point he faced and broke his opponent’s service three times. Donaldson finished the encounter after one hour and 14 minutes. The 19-year-old will take on Andre Ghem next, who beat French wild card Maxime Janvier 6-3, 6-2.
On Monday, Quentin Halys eased past Tim Smyczek 6-2, 6-3 in only 68 minutes to face Bjorn Fratangelo in the second round. The 22-year-old US-American, who earned the USTA Pro Circuit wild card into Roland Garros this year, dismissed the tournament’s number five Jared Thompson 6-4, 6-3.