Nadal Forced To Withdraw From Aegon Championships

LONDON, June 1, 2016

Rafael Nadal has been forced to withdraw from the Aegon Championships, which takes place 13th-19th June at The Queen’s Club, because of the wrist injury that curtailed his pursuit of a 10th Roland Garros title.

Nadal announced in a press conference on Friday that the injury, which began to cause him problems in Madrid earlier this month, could worsen significantly if he continued to play. He has been advised to rest his wrist in the short-term, and has today taken his name off the strongest entry list in the history of the Aegon Championships.

“I am very sad that my wrist injury means that I cannot play at The Queen’s Club this year,” said Nadal, who won the title as part of an historic Roland Garros, Queen’s, Wimbledon treble in 2008. “It is a tournament and a club that I love, I enjoy playing in front of the British people, and I was looking forward to trying to win the title for a second time. I wish everyone at the tournament a great week, and I look forward to returning in future years.”

Stephen Farrow, Tournament Director of the Aegon Championships, said: “It is a great shame for Rafa and everyone that loves watching him play that he has sustained this injury, and we wish him a speedy recovery. He was in great form, and we know how much he was looking forward to playing on grass at the Aegon Championships, but his health must come first. We look forward to welcoming him back in the years to come.”

Tara McGregor-Woodhams, Head of Brand and Sponsorship Aegon UK at Aegon, said: “We are sorry to hear that Rafa has been injured, hope that he gets well soon and look forward to seeing him in future years. The Aegon Championships player field remains exceptionally strong and we are all looking forward to the start of the tournament.”

Defending champion Andy Murray will be aiming for a record fifth title when the event gets underway. He will be challenged by current Roland Garros champion Stan Wawrinka, the 2011 Aegon Championships runner-up Jo Wilfried Tsonga, and fellow Top 10 players Milos Raonic and Richard Gasquet. Exciting Australian Nick Kyrgios, the 2014 US Open champion Marin Cilic, and Grigor Dimitrov, who won at The Queen’s Club two years ago, are also part of the line-up.

The Aegon Championships was voted Tournament of the Year in its category for the third consecutive year by the players in January, winning the award in its debut year as an ATP-500 event.

Doubles – Grand Slam Teams Confirmed; Andy Murray / Colin Fleming awarded wild card

The provisional doubles entry list has also been revealed, with the three most recent Grand Slam winning teams – Jean-Julien Rojer and Horia Tecau (Wimbledon), Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut (US Open), and Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares (Australian Open) in the field.

As well as the 10 teams revealed on the doubles entry list, wild cards have been given to Andy Murray and Colin Fleming, and Kyle Edmund and Thanaski Kokkinakis. Three more teams will sign up on the eve of the event, with one further team qualifying, to make a 16-team draw.