STUTTGART, March 4, 2015
A Grand Slam winner will serve at the first edition of the Mercedes Cup played on grass. The current world number 10 and US-Open champion Marin Cilic confirmed his participation at the ATP 250 event in Stuttgart with a total prize money of 642.070 € taking place from June 6 to June 14.
The 26-year-old from Croatia showed his strengths on grass courts when he reached the quarterfinal at last year’s All England Championships in Wimbledon. Cilic led 2-1 in sets against Novak Djokovic but eventually lost the exciting encounter. The Croat also captured one of his 13 ATP titles on grass at London’s Queen’s Club in 2012.
“I played in Stuttgart in 2007 on clay and I’m really excited how the venue looks like now. The Mercedes Cup will be an important preparation for me on the road to Wimbledon,” told Cilic and he will not come alone. He will also take his coach Goran Ivanisevic to the Tennis Club Weissenhof in order to play a show match against another Wimbledon winner. Ivanisevic claimed the title in Stuttgart 25 years ago beating Argentine Guillermo Perez-Roldan in the final. “I gained my very first ATP title in Stuttgart and therefore I will always keep the tournament in good memories. It is an honour, that I will be allowed to play the first match on the new grass centre court,” the 43-year-old Croat told.
Marcos Baghdatis will join Tommy Haas and Feliciano López to play in Stuttgart. The 29-year-old Cypriot and finalist of the Australian Open 2006, will probably become one of the spectator’s favourites due to his spectacular tennis on court.
“We are glad to present with Marin Cilic a Grand Slam champion as well as the tournament’s first top ten – player in 2015. With Marcos Baghdatis we will also have a player, who his on his way back to the top and who will captivate the spectators due to his attractive game style,” tournament director Edwin Weindorfer stated.