BRAUNSCHWEIG, November 29, 2016
The organizers of the Wilhelmshöhe Open announced Tuesday the date for the tournament’s 20th edition. The $25,000 ITF Pro Circuit event is going to take place from 16 to 23 July 2017, held at the clay courts of the KTC Bad Wilhelsmshöhe 1896 in Kassel.
“Our tournament will remain in the same week as in 2016,” tournament director Eberhard Engelmann told during the annual meeting of the organizers of Germany’s Tennis Tournaments in Braunschweig.
The country’s biggest ITF men’s event takes places between Wimbledon and the ATP Challenger in Braunschweig as well as the ATP 500 German Open in Hamburg. Players will enjoy full hospitality with accommodation at the local Intercity Hotel. This season, Yannick Hanfmann emerged victorious from the first all-German-final in Kassel since 2005, winning 7-6, 6-1 over Julian Lenz.
“We set a new attendance record in 2016 with two Germans competing in the final and a lot of high-quality matches. We were very pleased with this year’s edition,” Engelmann said. Nonetheless, it was again a challenge to achieve the tournament’s budget after the total prize money had been raised by the ITF to $25,000 last year.
“Together with our loyal partners and hopefully a couple of new sponsors, we are going to meet the target,” Engelmann is confident.