STARNBERG, February 11, 2017
According to Italian media, Toni Nadal has announced his split from his nephew and 14 time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal by the end of the season.
“From next year I will no longer follow Rafael on the circuit and I will focus exclusively on our academy. I want to take care of the formation of young talents, which is the most important moment in a tennis player´s growth,” he told the Italian website tennisitaliano.it. Toni, who was also named new tournament director of the WTA Mallorca Open taking place in June 2017, added that his relationship with Rafa is still excellent.
“We never had any to argue about. But until he was 17 I decided everything, then the agent Carlos Costa came, his father got closer and everybody had his own opinion. And the truth is that every year I decide even less, until the point that I won’t decide anything anymore. I travelled with Rafa for many years, now I want to deal with the training of the young people and our academy is the ideal place.”
Nadal’s spokesman Benito Perez-Barbadillo told French news agency AFP that the decision had come as a shock.
“These words took us somewhat by surprise,” Perez-Barbadillo told.
Former World No. 1 Carlos Moya joined the Nadal coaching team at the end of last year and will continue his work with Rafa. Francisco Roig will also remain part of the team.
A public statement is yet to be made.