ESTORIL, May 3, 2017
Top seed Pablo Carreno-Busta headlined Wednesday’s second round action at the Millennium Open. The World No. 21 opened his title bid with a 7-6, 7-5 victory over fellow Spaniard Tommy Robredo.
Carreno-Busta, an Estroil semi-finalist in 2015 and finalist in 2016, converted four of his five break points to advance in one hour and 51 minutes.
“The first match of the tournament is always difficult,” Carreno Busta told. “Playing against Tommy is really tough, as he is a very dangerous opponent. I didn’t play my best match of the season but I made it to the next stage, which is the most important thing.”
The 25-year-old Gijón native will next take on defending champion Nicolas Almagro, who eased past Portugal’s home hope Gastao Elias, winning 6-1, 6-2.
Second seed Richard Gasquet also advanced to the quarterfinals. The 30-year-old Frenchman defeated Carlos Berlocq from Argentina 6-1, 6-4. Gasquet capitalized on five of eight break point opportunities to seal victory one hour and 27 minutes.
“I haven’t played for the last two months. I competed last week but I hadn’t been ready yet. The most important thing for me is to play as many matches as possible, that’s the reason why I am here,” Gasquet told and added: “I am happy with the way I played, in particular winning in two sets.”
The World No. 23 will next take on South African Kevin Anderson.