MUNICH, May 5, 2017
Yannick Hanfmann‘s fantastic run at the BMW Open by FWU has come to an end. The 25-year-old German lost his quarterfinals match on Friday against second seed and World No. 18 Roberto Bautista-Agut from Spain but kept his head up.
“I am even a bit relieved,” Hanfmann told in his second press conference of the week. “It was a long week, packed with emotions including the qualifying last weekend.”
After beating Arthur de Greef and Uladzimir Ignatik to qualify for the main draw, the 25-year-old defeated Gerald Melzer in his ATP debut on Monday followed with a three sets-win over Thomaz Bellucci, saving one match point.
“It was a fantastic experience here in Munich. I learnt that I can compete at highest level, although there is still a difference between a top 20-player such as Roberto and me.”
Talking about his idols, it’s all about Roger Federer for Hanfmann. “I had the opportunity to practice with him in Dubai last year. We spent five days together and a dream would come true, if I could get the chance to play one match on the ATP World Tour against him.”
Hanfmann added that he also received the chance to practice with Novak Djokovic and that his intention is to play for at least another 10 years.
“My goal is to get into the qualifying of the Grand Slams. Getting a wild card into the ATP event in Stuttgart would be also very nice,” the Karlsruhe native told with a mischievous smile. “Therefore you need to promote my tennis even a bit more,” he told the media representatives.
Next up, however, will be the €75,000 ATP Challenger in Samarkand, connected with the possibility to take the momentum to Uzbekistan in order to clinch his maiden Challenger title.