ADELAIDE, November 3, 2017 (Press Release)
Tennis superstar Andre Agassi is set to return to Adelaide for the first time in 20 years at the World Tennis Challenge, taking place at Memorial Drive in 2018.
The former world No.1 and eight-time Grand Slam singles champion will headline the field for the tenth edition of the World Tennis Challenge.
Agassi, who holds 60 career titles, is one of the most successful players of all time and is the only man to have won a singles title at every Grand Slam, an Olympic Games gold medal (1996 Atlanta Olympic Games) and the ATP Tour World Championships (won in 1990).
Agassi will be making his debut at the World Tennis Challenge, but this will not be his first visit to Adelaide. Agassi played Lleyton Hewitt in the semifinals of the 1998 Next Generation Adelaide International, when Hewitt famously went on to win the tournament as a 16-year-old.
“I’m looking forward to coming to Adelaide to compete in the World Tennis Challenge,” Agassi said.
Commenting on his recollections of Adelaide he said, “I just remember enjoying it. The city being close to the beaches, it was the vibe of being relaxing, and I just always played well in places I liked. I can’t think of a better place than going back to a place I love.”
His memories of the Adelaide fans were particularly fond, “It gets such great support down there and it has such a special place in my heart for the memories that I’ve had over the years. I look forward to having a very generous audience – sports fans cutting me slack for not being what I was 30 years ago,” Agassi said.
Aussie doubles sensation John Peers and Finland’s Henri Kontinen will again be joined by one of the most successful pairings in history, Americans Bob andMike Bryan, when the World Tennis Challenge features men’s doubles for the second consecutive year along with a singles and a legends match each night.
The field will again feature twelve players spread across three teams.
World Tennis Challenge General Manager David Hearne said, “We’re excited Andre Agassi has chosen Adelaide for his only playing appearance this summer. To have someone of his calibre is a big win for South Australia.
“We’re encouraging fans of the former world No.1 to get in early so they don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity to see Agassi not just take to the court at Memorial Drive but also make appearances at the World Tennis Challenge Legends Lunch. He will also visit exclusive hospitality areas including the Champions Courtside Suites and Sideline Club.
“Agassi is set to lead a star-studded field with the return of doubles pairings John Peers and Henri Kontinen as well as Bob and Mike Bryan.
“With tickets starting from just $11 for adults and $6 for kids, there is really no better place to watch world-class tennis this January.”
Minister Assisting the Minister for Sport, the Hon. Katrine Hildyard MP added, “Andre Agassi is a true legend of the game, an eight-time Grand Slam champion and one of the most popular players on the international circuit in the 1990s and early 2000s.
“To have Agassi return to Australia – where he won half of his Grand Slam titles – and to play in Adelaide is a huge coup for our city and the World Tennis Challenge.
“I am sure that tennis fans and aspiring players from around our state and across the country will embrace the opportunity to see Agassi, an icon of the game, return to the court at the WTC in Adelaide.”
World Tennis Challenge 2018 field so far is:
Andre Agassi (USA)
Bob Bryan (USA)
Mike Bryan (USA)
John Peers (AUS)
Henri Kontinen (FIN)
Further players and the schedule of play will be announced in the coming weeks.