LONDON, November 18, 2017
Pablo Carreño Busta finished his season not in the best way but can be pleased with his overall performance and results in 2017. The 26-year-old Spaniard lost his second match at the Nitto ATP Finals, which he entered as an alternate after the withdrawal of Rafael Nadal, against Grigor Dimitrov on Friday night in straight sets.
“It was not the best way to enter the tournament but when you have this opportunity to play here in London, you have to try to do your best,” Carreño Busta told. “I played a really good match against Dominic Thiem on Wednesday. Today I was maybe a little bit tired and of course Grigor played unbelievable. He also beat Goffin in an easy way. Well done and I wish him all the best in the semi-finals.”
The World No. 10 did not drop a set en route to his third ATP World Tour title at Estoril this season and finished runner-up to Thiem at the ATP 500 event in Rio de Janeiro. Carreño Busta advanced to four more semi-finals, including the ATP Masters 1000 tournament in Indian Wells as well as the US Open.
“I am very, very happy because I finish No. 10. The goal for this year was to be in the top 20, so I think I achieved my goals,” Carreño Busta said. “I think that I have improved a lot this year, playing more aggressive than last year, playing better, believing more in myself. I think I’m a better player than last year. Now I am thinking about the next season, trying to make more improvements and to play better.”
The Gijón native will next enjoy a couple of free days, relaxing in his home town. “Then I will come back to Barcelona to start to do fitness with my fitness coach,” he said. “Probably in two weeks we will start with tennis and fitness. I will be back on court at the exhibition in Abu Dhabi. Then I will play in Doha and Melbourne. We have five weeks to prepare for the new season.”
To finish next year inside the Top 10 will be his goal for 2018.