HOBART, January 5, 2018 (Press Release)
Rising Australian player Lizette Cabrera has been awarded a main draw wildcard into the Hobart International.
The 20-year-old from Brisbane scored her first WTA main draw win at last year’s Hobart International and is excited to be returning in 2018.
“I really love Hobart, I think it’s one of the prettiest places I’ve ever been to and it was a really special time here last year,” Cabrera said.
“Winning my first WTA match was a really big milestone for me, and definitely a great way to start the year – so I’m really excited to be back.”
So happy to be back in Hobart!! 😊 https://t.co/AD5Rmu2Avx
— Lizette Cabrera (@lizzycabrera97) 5. Januar 2018
Cabrera had a stellar 2017, achieving a career-high ranking of No.134 in September. She reached her first WTA-level quarterfinal late in the season, beating world No.31 Anett Kontaveit in Guangzhou.
“Lizette had a breakout year in 2017, and has shown great improvement,” Hobart International Tournament Director Darren Sturgess said.
“We are glad to welcome Lizette back and hope she has another great tournament.”
Cabrera joins fellow Australian Jaimee Fourlis (AUS) and former world No.5 Canadian Eugenie Bouchard as main draw wildcards.
Australians Astra Sharma (WA), Masa Jovanovic (Vic), Alison Bai (ACT), and Jessica Moore (WA) have received wildcards into the qualifying event, which begins tomorrow.
Earlier this week, Cabrera has also been awarded the final wildcard into the women’s main draw singles at the Australian Open 2018.