HEILBRONN, March 26, 2018
The NECKARCUP in Heilbronn is onto a fifth edition on the ATP Challenger Tour in 2018. The tournament will be held from 12 to 20 May at the venue of the Tennis Club Trappensee with a total prize money of €85,000 for the first time.
Last month it was announced that the clay court event was voted among one of the three best ATP Challengers in the world. The award recognises excellence in standards set across the global ATP Challenger Tour.
“It was my personal goal to get this award someday. But the fact that it has already been the case after only four years was a pleasant surprise,” Chief of Organisations Mine Cebeci said during Friday’s kick-off press conference held inside the Siegfried-Gumbel-hall of the Volksbank Heilbronn.
With the increase in prize money, the organizers hope for one or the other top 100 player entering the tournament. “Two, three top 100 players have always been here, but maybe there will be a few more this year,” tournament director Metehan Cebeci is excited.
“The players’ online portal to sign-up has been open for two weeks, but most will not enter until the end of April, just before it closes,” Cebeci explained and added that local favourite and World No. 137 Yannick Maden will almost certainly return to Heilbronn.
Yet, the official entry list has not been released but the organizers announced the side events taking place this year.
“We traditionally start on Qualifying Saturday with the Grand Opening Party. On Monday evening, the Players Party will be held with the live band Perfect Heat and samba dancers according to the motto ‘Summer Feeling Pure’. On May 17 Heilbronn hypnotist and action artist Mr. Yasin is taking the stage, before on Friday Mr Schröder is presenting his comedy programme ‘World of Teacher’. On Saturday, after the semi-finals, the closing party will be held with Blacky & Friends,” Mine Cebeci told.
For ticket information, please visit the tournament’s official website.