Federer Withdraws From Rogers Cup

TORONTO, July 23, 2018 (Press Release)

World No. 2 Roger Federer has withdrawn from the 2018 Rogers Cup presented by National Bank, it was announced today by Tournament Director Karl Hale.

“I’m so disappointed not to play at the Rogers Cup this summer,” said Federer. “I had a fantastic time in Montreal last year and always enjoy playing in front of the Canadian fans, but unfortunately with scheduling being the key to my longevity moving forward, I have regrettably decided to withdraw from Toronto this year. I wish the tournament every success and am sorry to miss it.”

The ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event, which takes place August 4-12 at the Aviva Centre, will feature 19 of the Top 20 players in the world including Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic and world No.1 and three-time Rogers Cup champion Rafael Nadal.

Hale confirmed that the Spaniard will play his first match in Toronto on Wednesday night (August 8), with Canadian No.1 Denis Shapovalov scheduled to play in the Tuesday night session (August 7). “I’m really looking forward to being back in Toronto this summer,” said Nadal. “I always love playing in Canada and I hope to see the fans out in force for my first match on Wednesday night.”

Jeremy Chardy of France will take Federer’s place in the main draw. Former World No.1 and three-time Rogers Cup champion Andy Murray, who is working his way back from a long-term hip injury, has received a wild card into the tournament. Murray will return to Toronto for the first time since 2014, with the remaining wild card recipients to be announced in due course.

“We are excited to have nine of the top 10 on the ATP World Tour at the Rogers Cup, but it’s unfortunate that we won’t have Roger in Toronto this summer,” said Hale. “With current world No. 1 Rafael Nadal, Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic plus Toronto’s hometown heroes in Milos and Denis legitimate title threats, this year’s entry list is one of the most exciting in recent memory. With the improvements we have made around the site and the festival of events we have planned, fans are in for a real treat.”

The official draw ceremony for the 56-player field will take place in downtown Toronto on the afternoon of August 3. In a historic first, the Toronto subway (TTC) will now bring tennis fans directly from downtown Toronto to the Rogers Cup. With the extension of Line One, Pioneer Village Station is a five-minute walk from the stadium, making it easier than ever for fans to reach the Aviva Centre.

Daniel Nestor, the legendary Canadian doubles player who will play in his 30th and final Rogers Cup this summer, will be honoured in a two-part celebration at Roy Thomson Hall on Sunday, August 5. A host of current and former ATP players, including Murray and Shapovalov, will take part in a roast led by Shaun Majumder, followed by Nestor’s emotional induction into the Canadian Tennis Hall of Fame. For ticket information please call 416-872-4255 or visit www.roythomsonhall.com/tickets/DanielNestor.