STARNBERG, August 20, 2018
The Winston-Salem Open, held at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex, welcomes 18 of the Top 50 players in the ATP Rankings and more than 40 men who will compete in the US Open main draw, including #NextGenATP players Alex de Minaur, Andrey Rublev and Taylor Fritz.
Spanish No. 2 and 2016 champion Pablo Carreno Busta, 2017 Next Gen ATP Finals winner Hyeon Chung, last year’s finalist Damir Dzumhur and US-Americans Steve Johnson and Sam Querrey are also in the field.
Reigning Nitto ATP Finals runner-up David Goffin was supposed to be the top seed of the ATP 250-event but was forced to withdraw.
“Unfortunately I will not be able to participate in the Winston- Salem Open due to a shoulder injury. It’s a shame because I had very good memories of this tournament. I wanted to have more matches, and this tournament was the ideal preparation for the US Open. I hope to return to Winston-Salem and try my luck at 100%. I wish Bill Oakes much success for his tournament,” said the 27-year-old Belgian on Sunday morning.
“Obviously, we are disappointed David won’t be joining us this year. He’s such an exciting player and has the tools to beat anyone. We love having him in Winston-Salem, but health is certainly everyone’s top priority. David is a fan favorite, and I know we are all sending him the best wishes for improved health so he can finish the year strong. We look forward to seeing him compete here again,” said Tournament Director Bill Oakes.