LAVER CUP Press Release, February 8, 2019
Thousands of fans turned out to the Palais Eynard in Geneva today as Roger Federer, 20-time Grand Slam champion joined Team Europe captain Björn Borg to launch the Laver Cup, which will be staged at the Palexpo, Geneva, from 20-22 September 2019.
The pair toured Geneva as part of the global launch of the event as tickets sold in record time.
“We’ve been blown away by how well received the Laver Cup has been already, firstly in Prague, then Chicago, and now here in Geneva with an incredible response to our ticket sales. I know the fans here in Switzerland will love it as well,” Tony Godsick, President and CEO of Team 8 and Chairman of the Laver Cup said today.
“I’m so excited to be playing the Laver Cup here in Geneva, in my home country, it’s a dream come true,” Roger Federer said.
“I’m super excited we have Rafa (Nadal) confirmed to play. We had a blast playing doubles together in Prague and it will be fantastic to team up together again and I’m sure Captain Borg will put together a world-class team alongside us.
“One of the very special things about the Laver Cup, and I think the one that resonates most with both the players and the fans, is how we get to team up with our traditional rivals, those players we face across the net week in and week out on tour.
“This also really comes across to the fans in the stadium and on TV as we work together as a team, cheering each other on, and even coaching each other, alongside our captains, from the team bench.”
— Laver Cup (@LaverCup) 8. Februar 2019
Team Europe captain Björn Borg, renowned for his cool and composed demeanour both on and off the court, is also looking forward to the Laver Cup in Geneva.
“This is a really special event and I’m determined to bring another incredibly strong Team Europe to Geneva in September,” Borg said.
“Having won the first two editions of the Laver Cup we will be under pressure to win for a third time, and I know Roger and Rafa are up to that challenge.”
Federer and Borg’s big day out included a boat trip on picturesque Lake Geneva where Federer employed his famous serve to power up the iconic Jet d’Eau fountain.
The pair had a social hit for the cameras at La Rotonde before heading to the Palais Eynard for a media conference and the chance to meet thousands of local fans.
The Mayor of Geneva, Sami Kanaan and the Minister of Sport of the Republic and Canton of Geneva, Thierry Apotheloz were on hand to officially welcome the tennis superstars.
“The City of Geneva is very proud to welcome champions such as Björn Borg and Roger Federer, who are role models for young players in terms of fair play and a beautiful game,” Mayor Sami Kanaan said.
“In my position of Minister of Sports, it makes no doubt the city, the canton, Palexpo… we are all ready to host this incredible event, made possible thanks to Switzerland’s prime idol Roger Federer, “ Thierry Apotheloz said. “We are ready to make Geneva the world capital of tennis, for a weekend.“
Twenty lucky fans also won Laver Cup ‘golden tickets’ from balls hit out to the crowd by Federer and Borg and eight local junior tennis players had the chance of a lifetime to meet their tennis idols.
Laver Cup multi-session tickets have been snapped up quickly by tennis enthusiasts as the public sale opened today.
“We are truly amazed and humbled by the unprecedented demand for Laver Cup tickets,” Laver Cup CEO Steve Zacks said.
“The response has exceeded all expectations, with the current allocation of multi-session tickets exhausted at this time. We still have some hospitality packages available and we plan to release a limited quantity of single session tickets at a later date.
“On behalf of all of us at the Laver Cup we want to thank everyone who’s been so supportive and we can’t wait to bring a fantastic event here to Geneva for the fans in September.”
Laver Cup fast facts:
- The Laver Cupis a three-day tournament pitting a team of six of the best tennis players from Europe against six of their counterparts from the rest of the world
- Björn Borg is captain of Team Europe and John McEnroe is captain of Team World
- Thomas Enqvist and Patrick McEnroeare vice captains of Team Europe and Team World, respectively
- Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have confirmed for Team Europe
- The tournament is named in honor of Australian tennis legend Rod Laver, the only man to win two calendar-year Grand Slams, and one of the greatest players of all time
- The unique format of the tournament showcases tennis superstars competing on the same team, playing singles, pairing up in doubles and cheering each other on from the sidelines
- The inaugural Laver Cup was held at the O2arena in Prague, Czech Republic, in September 2017, with Team Europe defeating Team World 15-9
- In September 2018 more than 90,000 fans attended the Laver Cup at the United Center in Chicago,where Team Europe once again edged out Team World to win the second Laver Cup 13-8.
- The location will rotate between major cities in Europe and the rest of the world each year