VANCOUVER, August 22, 2015
After starting out in the qualifying round a week ago, Daniel Evans of Great Britain has put together a six match winning streak en route to an appearance in the semifinals at the Odlum Brown VanOpen. The 25-year-old topped countryman Brydan Klein 7-6(1), 6-7(7), 6-0 on Friday night to advance to face 2014 Odlum Brown VanOpen Men’s Doubles champion, John-Patrick Smith of Australia. Smith beat Russia’s Karen Khachanov, 7-5, 6-1 earlier in the day. In the other two quarterfinal matches, Yuki Bhambri of India edged Farrukh Dustov of Uzbekistan 6-4, 6-4 and three-time Odlum Brown VanOpen champion Dudi Sela moved on with a tough 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-1 win over Jurgen Zopp of Estonia.
In Men’s Doubles, the team of Treat Huey of the Philippines and 2012 Wimbledon Doubles Champion Frederik Nielsen of Denmark are into the semifinals following a 6-0, 3-6, 10-5 win over the Aussie duo of John Millman and Luke Saville. Bhambri and his parter, Michael Venus of New Zealand knocked out the American team of Nicholas Monroe and Austin Krajicek in straight sets. Romania’s Marius Copil and Austria’s Jurgen Melzer advanced with a walkover victory against Dustov and Illya Marchenko of Ukraine.
Men’s Main Draw Singles Quarterfinals
- John-Patrick Smith, Australia, def. Karen Khachanov, Russia, 7-5, 6-1,
- Yuki Bhambri, India, def. Farrukh Dustov, Uzbekistan, 6-4, 6-4,
- Dudi Sela, Israel, def. Jurgen Zopp, Estonia, 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-1,
- (Q) Daniel Evans, Great Britain, def. Brydan Klein, Great Britain, 7-6(1), 6-7(7), 6-0
Men’s Main Draw Doubles Quarterfinals
- Treat Huey, Phillipines, and Frederik Neilsen, Denmark (3), def. John Millman, Australia, and Luke Saville, Australia, 6-0, 3-6, 10-5,
- Marius Copil, Romania, and Jurgen Melzer, Austria (4), def. Farrukh Dustov, Uzbekistan, and Illya Marchenko, Ukraine, walkover,
- Yuki Bhambri, India, and Michael Venus, New Zealand, def. Austin Krajicek, United States, and Nicholas Monroe, United States (2), 6-3, 6-2