GENOVA, September 12, 2015
Marco Cecchinato and Nicolas Almagro will compete in Sunday’s final at the € 106,500 AON Open Challenger in Genova.
Before reaching the final four in Genova, Cecchinato had played nine semi-finals this season, but only made it into one final in Turin, where he eventually lifted the trophy.
The 22-year-old Italian also had a weak start into Saturday’s encounter against top-seed and defending champion Albert Ramos, losing the opening set 0-6. Cecchinato, however got stronger the longer the match lasted, converted five of his eight break points to finally seal victory in one hour and 44 minutes.
“I went on court with a great desire to win. Albert started very well, but after the first set my game was more solid and I am very happy that I was able to overcome such a high-class player like him in the end,” Cecchinato told afterwards.
Cecchinato will face seventh seed Nicolas Almagro on Sunday. The 30-year-old Spaniard defeated the tournament’s number two Robin Haase a second time in their second tour meeting, winning 3-6, 6-1, 6-4. Almagro hit four aces and won 82% of his first service points to reach his first Challenger final since lifting the trophy in Kiev in 2004. The encounter lasted one hour and 33 minutes. Cecchinato and Almagro will meet for the first time on the tour.
Earlier the day, fourth seeded Argentine team of Guillermo Duran and Horacio Zeballos captured the doubles title, winning 7-5, 6-4 against Andrea Arnaboldi and Alessandro Giannessi in one hour and 16 minutes.
“It’s really nice to play this tournament,” Duran said. “It is definitely one of the best, because of the many spectators attending the matches and the great atmosphere.”
Zeballos added: “I had already won twice in Genova before. It is always a great pleasure to come back. The organization is absolutely perfect.”