Laver Cup Press Release, June 14, 2019
World No.4 and Roland Garros finalist Dominic Thiem, No.5 ranked Alexander Zverev and No.10 Fabio Fognini will play for Team Europe at the Laver Cup in Geneva this September.
The impressive trio will join Grand Slam superstars, world No.2 and Roland Garros champion Rafael Nadal, and No.3 ranked Roger Federer, as Laver Cup defending champions.
Thiem, who came up against a red-hot Nadal in the Roland Garros final for the second consecutive year, is looking forward to joining Team Europe again.
“Being part of Team Europe at Laver Cup in Prague was an unbelievable experience, it’s so unique being on the same team as the players you are usually fighting against across the net,” Dominic Thiem said.
“When we played together in Prague (in 2017), Rafa and Roger cheered me on from the side of the court and gave me tactics for the matches. It was cool to have such legends of the game supporting me. I’m really looking forward to experiencing the Laver Cup again.”
Zverev, a mainstay in the top five for almost two years, has won 11 ATP Tour titles, including the ATP Finals in 2018, and most recently, the Geneva Open last month.
“Laver Cup is one of the most fun weeks of my year,” Alexander Zverev said.
“Winning in Prague and Chicago as part of Team Europe has been unbelievable, there’s a team spirit and team atmosphere that’s unlike any other. I can’t wait to get together again and defend our title.”
Fabio Fognini, who cracked the top 10 for the first time this week, has been named for the first time.
“I’m very excited to be playing the Laver Cup in September,” Fabio Fognini said.
“Playing as part of a team is special in tennis, where we are more used to having a one-on-one battle every match. I’m looking forward to competing alongside all the great players on Team Europe.”
Team Europe captain, the legendary Björn Borg, is understandably pleased with his high-ranked team, which he believes will defend the title in Geneva.
“I’m delighted to have Dom (Thiem) back in the team. He was a great player for us in Prague and his form is outstanding, as we saw recently in his run to the final at Roland Garros,” Borg said.
“Sascha (Zverev) is not just one of the rising stars of the game, he’s a great team player and loves this competition. Fabio is renowned for his passion and has had an incredible season and I have no doubt he’ll make a great contribution to the team.
“This talented group of players, alongside Rafa and Roger, two of the greatest players of all time, gives us an incredibly strong team and I believe we are in a very good position to win the title for a third time.”
The third edition of the Laver Cup will take place at the Palexpo, Geneva, from September 20-22, 2019. Team Europe hoisted the trophy at the inaugural event in Prague in 2017 and in Chicago in 2018.
Team World Captain John McEnroe will announce his first team members in the coming weeks.
Laver Cup fast facts:
· The Laver Cup is a three-day tournament pitting a team of six of the best tennis players from Europe against six of their counterparts from the rest of the world
· Björn Borg is captain of Team Europe and John McEnroe is captain of Team World
· Thomas Enqvist and Patrick McEnroe are vice captains of Team Europe and Team World, respectively
· Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem, Alexander Zverev andFabio Fognini are confirmed to play for Team Europe. One position remains to be filled
· Team World players will be announced in the coming weeks
· The tournament is named in honor of Australian tennis legend Rod Laver, the only man to win two calendar-year Grand Slams, and one of the greatest players of all time
· The unique format of the tournament showcases tennis superstars competing on the same team, playing singles, pairing up in doubles and cheering each other on from the sidelines
· The inaugural Laver Cup was held at the O2 arena in Prague, Czech Republic, in September 2017, with Team Europe defeating Team World 15-9
· In September 2018 more than 90,000 fans attended the Laver Cup at the United Center in Chicago, where Team Europe once again edged out Team World to win the second Laver Cup 13-8
· The location will rotate between major cities in Europe and the rest of the world each year.