BERGAMO, February 18, 2020
Leo Borg, son of 11-time Grand Slam singles champion and former World No. 1 Bjorn Borg, lost his first professional match in the opening round of the Internazionali di Tennis Trofeo Perrel-Faip in Bergamo. The 16-year-old Swede fell to 18-year-old former Junior World No. 1 Chung-hsin Tseng from Chinese Taipei 6-3, 6-1 on Monday afternoon.
Leo Borg 🇸🇪 after his pro debut at the ATP Challenger in Bergamo today.
“At first it was a bit difficult to manage the comparisons with my father, but now it’s all right.”
📸: Antonio Milesi pic.twitter.com/XFDbNFlUmz
— Florian Heer (@Florian_Heer) February 18, 2020
“My level is not so far from this,” Borg told journalists after the 46 minute-encounter. The teenager will turn 17 on May 15, but he is already used to the interest of the public and fans.
“At first it was a bit difficult to manage the comparisons with my father, but now it’s all right,” he said and added that he has never watched a match of his father. “In all my life it has never happened to look for it on Youtube. Of course we spoke before today’s match and he told me to enjoy the moment, to have fun and not to think about victory or defeat.”
Borg will next return to Sweden, before he will play another ATP Challenger event in Pau, France, where he will benefit from a second wild card. “I will try to combine both, playing junior as well as professional tournaments. I will come back to play junior tournaments, but I hope to make some ATP points, too, competing in Challenger tournaments as well as on the ITF World Tennis Tour.”