Porsche Tennis Grand Prix In Danger Of Being Cancelled

STARNBERG, March 15, 2020

According to German website Bild.de, the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart (20-26 April) will not take place this year given the uncertainty regarding the outbreak of the coronavirus. “The matter is off the table,” Martin Schairer, the city’s sports mayor, told the tabloid.

The WTA announced a five-week ban cancelling Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Bogota and Guadalajara. The WTA Premier Event would be the first professional tennis tournament being held in Germany affected by the outbreak of COVID-19.

Petra Kvitova from the Czech Republic won last year’s edition of the indoor clay tournament following a 6-3, 7-6(2) victory over Estonia’s Anett Kontaveit in the title match.

“The city of Stuutgart has not specified a specific period for the measures taken today. Therefore, we cannot say at the current time whether and in what form the Grand Prix can take place. The health of everyone involved is a top priority for us, and we in constant communication with the responsible authorities and the WTA,” a Porsche spokesman said, quoted by Italian tennis website Ubi Tennis.