Nick Kyrgios Offers A Helping Hand To Feed Australians

WASHINGTON, April 7, 2020 (by Michael Dickens)

On Monday, Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios posted a heartfelt note on his Instagram page saying he’s prepared to share food with people in need throughout Australia. The 24-year-old native from Canberra, which was raged by bushfires earlier this year, joins a growing list of men’s and women’s pro tennis players joining the cause to offer their help amid the global coronavirus crisis.

“If ANYONE is not working/not getting an income and runs out of food, or times are just tough … please don’t go to sleep with an empty stomach,” Kyrgios’s message read.

“Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to send me a private message. I will be more than happy to share whatever I have. Even for just a box of noddles, a loaf of bread or milk. I will drop it off at your doorstep, no questions asked! #JoinTheCause”

View this post on Instagram

Real talk

A post shared by NK (@k1ngkyrg1os) on

Rafael Nadal: #NuestraMejorVictoria update

When Rafael Nadal isn’t posting home videos showing him play patio tennis with his cousin Maria, the World No. 2 is devoting his time to working on his #NuestraMejorVictoria campaign, which he launched in March with six-time NBA All-Star Pau Gasol. Their initiative is part of the #CruzRojaResponde (Red Cross Responds) campaign, whose goal is to raise 11 million euros and to help needy citizens during the COVID-19 crisis. According to the ATP Tour website, Novak Djokovic, Roberto Bautista Agut, Feliciano Lopez and David Ferrer are among the ATP Tour players who have donated to the project. WTA players who have contributed included Garbiñe Muguruza and Carla Suárez Navarro.

Flattening the curve with Stefanos Tsitsipas

On Sunday, rising Greek star Stefanos Tsitsipas, who loves being creative on social media, challenged his Twitter followers to send him a random text in their native language “and I’m going to make a video reading in that language.” Tsitsipas’ fans did not disappoint and neither did Tsitsipas. One of the texts he chose to read was in Portuguese. “Oh, I love Portuguese,” he said in one video. “Such a sweet language.”

A look back: Roger Federer’s 2019 Miami Open triumph

On the one-year anniversary of Roger Federer’s 2019 Miami Open victory, a 6-1, 6-4 win over John Isner for his 101st career title, it’s worth a brief look back at what the Swiss maestro said after winning his fourth south Florida crown:

“I’m so happy that I was able to produce a performance like this in a final, because this is what you train for and play for, that constantly your level keeps going up as the tournament progresses. This was my best. I’m very excited,” he said.

The Miami Open title represented Federer’s third ATP Tour title of 2019 and his victory over Isner gave him an 11-match winning streak. He won 100 percent of his first-serve points and did not face a break point the entire match. The Federer-Isner match drew 17,373 fans, which set a Miami Open men’s final attendance record.

What they’re doing 

Tennis at home with Fabio Fognini and wife Flavia Pennetta

Irina Falconi catches up on Harry Potter movies

What they’re saying

Six-time US Open champion and Hall of Fame great Chris Evert told Vogue magazine: “I am so concerned about the big picture that I haven’t really given much thought to tennis. We’ve got such great champions, great fans, great sponsors, and I feel it will bounce back. When, I don’t know – wouldn’t it be amazing, after all this, if it came back at New York at the Open after all of this? But of course, nobody knows.”

What they’re tweeting

LTA (British Lawn Tennis Association)

• Marie Bouzkova, Czech Republic, ranked No. 47

• Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, France, ranked No. 49