LONDON, December 2, 2015
John McEnroe has joined the line-up of stars that will compete in Tie Break Tens, the new, quick-fire tennis format which will launch at the Royal Albert Hall on the night of Saturday 5th December as part of Champions Tennis.
McEnroe will join the 2013 Wimbledon champion Andy Murray, former British No.1 Tim Henman, World No.7 David Ferrer and British Davis Cup player Kyle Edmund in a six-man field, with the final place taken by a qualifier from the Champions Tennis tournament, which runs 2-6 December. Players will be divided into two groups of three, with the top two in each group advancing to the semifinals. All ten of the matches played on the night will be contested over a first-to-ten point tie-break, with a winner-take-all prize of US-$250,000.
McEnroe said: “Tie Break Tens is going to be great. Tie-breaks have been around for nearly as long as I’ve been playing, everyone enjoys watching them, and I enjoy playing them, as long as I win! It’s always a challenge to beat guys so much younger than me, but I’m practising hard and in a race to ten points, maybe I can spring a surprise!”
Matthew Pryke, Tie Break Tens Tournament Director, said: “John McEnroe is a living legend, and one of the greatest tennis players of all time. We are thrilled that he has agreed to be part of the player field for our first event. I’ve seen from afar just how competitive he is, all the players talk about the great shape he is still in, and we believe the quick-fire format of Tie Break Tens will give everyone a chance. We are very much looking forward to seeing him in action.”
McEnroe will be in good touch by the time Tie Break Tens gets underway, as he is playing Legends matches as part of Champions Tennis earlier in the week.
More information: Tie Break Tens Website