Sinner Casts Doubt On Playing In The US

BERLIN, July 20, 2020

After finishing runner-up to Dominic Thiem at the bett1Aces international exhibition tournament held inside the Hangar 6 of Berlin’s former international airport Tempelhof, last year’s Next Gen ATP Finals champion Jannik Sinner said that his participation in the US tournaments depends on travel restrictions and quarantine requirements.

“It doesn’t look good in the United States right now. If I have to self-isolate for two weeks on my return to Europe, I will probably stay here playing ATP Challenger Tour events in Italy to prepare for the clay-court season,” Sinner said on Sunday and added that a final decision will be made this week.

Four ATP Challenger tournaments in Todi, Trieste, Cordenons and Perugia are scheduled to take place in the teenager’s home country when the regular tour will resume on August 17.

The 18-year-old Italian showed his good form last week in Germany’s capital city by beating two top 15 players Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain and Russia’s Karen Khachanov in straight sets before losing to Thiem in the final.

“I enjoyed four great matches this week, as I haven’t played any competitive tennis for four months now,” Sinner, currently ranked World No. 73, was happy about his return to the courts.

“Since my return from Indian Wells I practiced every day in Monaco. Time passed quickly. I also went home to South Tyrol for a couple of days. Two weeks ahead of this tournament here I was in Elba practicing with Riccardo Piatti for two weeks. Then I took a flight to Berlin.”