MONTREAL, July 14, 2021 (Tennis Canada Press Release)
The very first edition of the National Bank Open presented by Rogers is set to be packed full of stars as the world’s best players on the ATP and WTA Tours descend on Toronto and Montreal from August 7-15, 2021. See below for an update on the status of the National Bank Open in Toronto and Montreal.
In Toronto, the top 37-ranked players on the ATP Tour are all on the entry list, including Wimbledon champion and World No. 1 Novak Djokovic. Also among them is World No. 3 and defending National Bank Open champion Rafael Nadal. The record-equaling 20-time Grand Slam champion will come to Canada hoping to rekindle the success he had in 2019 when he claimed the title in Montreal before going on to clinch a fourth-career US Open. Fans will also be looking forward to giving heroes’ welcomes to Canadians Denis Shapovalov, Félix Auger-Aliassime, Milos Raonic, and wildcard Vasek Pospisil, who will be determined to capitalize on home-court advantage.
“I’m very happy to return to Canada to play in Toronto,” said reigning champion Nadal. “Toronto is a fantastic tournament and I have had some really great matches there. As a matter of fact, I won there the last time we played and I would love to defend my title this August and be again with my fans in Canada and around the world.”
“We couldn’t be happier to bring world-class tennis back to Toronto this year at the very first National Bank Open presented by Rogers,” said Karl Hale, Tournament Director of the National Bank Open in Toronto. “After having to postpone our tournaments in 2020, we are absolutely thrilled to be welcoming some of the best players the ATP Tour has to offer to Aviva Centre next month. I have had great discussions with many of the players, including the likes of defending champion Rafael Nadal, World No. 2 Daniil Medvedev and World No. 4 Stefanos Tsitsipas, who have all said they are looking forward to competing in Toronto for the first time in three years. Add in the excitement around our incredible Canadians – Denis, Félix, Milos and Vasek – and we have the perfect recipe for an unmissable tournament.”
Click here to see the full Toronto player list.
In Montreal, IGA Stadium will play host to some of the best players on the planet with 18 of the WTA’s top 20 players having confirmed they will participate. That means World No. 1 and Wimbledon champion Ashleigh Barty will be at the National Bank Open. Joining her and playing on home soil for the first time since her historic run to the title in Toronto in 2019 is Canadian Bianca Andreescu. Having returned from injury earlier this year, the 2019 US Open champion will be hoping to defend her National Bank Open crown in front of a passionate and vibrant home crowd. Confirmed to compete alongside Barty and Andreescu are World No. 2 Naomi Osaka, World No. 3 Aryna Sabalenka and 2017 National Bank Open champion Elina Svitolina (No. 5). Growing Canadian sensation Leylah Fernandez will also be back home in Quebec to take part in the event after receiving a wildcard from the tournament.
“I’m very excited to come back to Montreal and to compete at the National Bank Open presented by Rogers,” said reigning champion Bianca Andreescu. “As a Canadian, this tournament has a special place in my heart and it is always such a pleasure to play in front of the best fans in the world. Winning the National Bank Open in 2019 was a dream come true, and I hope I can defend the title next month in Montreal.”
“After two years of waiting, it’s such a pleasure to be able to once again announce our player field for the National Bank Open presented by Rogers as we prepare to host the best players in the world in Montreal,” stated Eugène Lapierre, Tournament Director of the National Bank Open in Montreal. “There is so much excitement and anticipation for our event this year and we cannot wait to deliver an incredible spectacle. We are delighted to welcome the likes of Ashleigh Barty, Naomi Osaka and Aryna Sabalenka, as well as Bianca Andreescu, who we know will get a reception for the ages from our passionate fans in Montreal.”
Update on the status of the National Bank Open presented by Rogers
The National Bank Open presented by Rogers in Montreal has a letter of approval from the provincial health authorities in Quebec for the event to take place under it submitted protocols, which are now being reviewed by the Public Health Agency of Canada. The tournament in Montreal is planning for limited-fan attendance and, as such, a general sale for a limited number of tickets is now open to the public on the official National Bank Open website, www.omniumbanquenationale.com.
In Toronto, the National Bank Open has received letters of approval on its protocols from the municipal and provincial health authorities. The protocols are currently being reviewed by the Public Health Agency of Canada. Once the necessary Federal approvals are received, the organization is confident of also being able to host a limited number of fans at the Toronto tournament, especially following the recent announcement regarding Stage 3 of Ontario’s reopening plan. Tennis Canada is in the process of contacting existing ticketholders regarding their seats and is hopeful of releasing a limited number of tickets on general sale closer to the tournament.
“I’m excited Ontario will host our world-class tennis athletes for the National Bank Open later this summer in Toronto,” said Lisa MacLeod, Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries. “Now more than ever it’s critical we support our sports sector to recover from the impacts of COVID-19 and fully restore their significant social and economic contributions in communities across Ontario.”