MIAMI, March 24, 2016
The remaining 16 singles matches in the bottom half of the draw were on Thursday’s schedule at the ATP Masters 1000 Miami Open with three “Next Generation” teenagers leading the way but all of them fell in the second round.
In the evening hours, Federico Delbonis defeated 19-year-old Swedish wild card Elias Ymer, who made his Masters debut, 6-1, 4-6, 6-3. The world number 48 from Argentina won 75% of his first service points and capitalized on seven of his 11 break point chances to advance after two hours and 19 minutes to set a second round meeting with Grigor Dimitrov.
Meanwhile, Denis Kudla earned his first victory over Hyeon Chung after the South Korean teen had beaten the US-American at two ATP Challengers on home soil last year. Kudla fired 14 aces and saved all two break points he faced, converting five of his own to finish the encounter after one hour and 36 minutes. The 23-year-old will meet 12th seed Milos Raonic next.
Denis Istomin celebrated his first win of the season, rallying 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 over 19-year-old Borna Coric. The number one player from Uzbekistan came to Miami with a 0-7 record in 2016, but sent down four aces and broke his opponent’s serve six times to advance after two hours and 45 minutes. Istomin will face second seed Andy Murray next. The Scot is leading 2-0 in head to head records.
Tim Smyczek emerged victorious from the all-US-American-battle between two qualifiers beating 18-year-old Tommy Paul for the third time in as many meetings between the two. Smyczek hit six aces and capitalized on five of his 10 break point chances to secure a 6-4, 5-7, 7-5 victory in two hours and 19 minutes.
“He kind of had me on the ropes,” Smyczek said of Paul. “I was really lucky to get away with that one.”
The 28-year-old will face his fellow Tampa resident John Isner next.
“I know his game well, he knows my game well,” Smyczek said of Isner. “Hopefully it will be a good battle.”
For a second tournament in a row Andreas Seppi defeated Donald Young in the first round. The 32-year-old Italian saved the only break point he faced and converted four of his own to finish the encounter after 62 minutes. In Indian Wells last week, Seppi had to go the distance and will now take on Miami’s number 27 Alexandr Dolgopolov.
Aljaz Bedene battled past Roberto Carballés-Baena, who celebrated his 23rd birthday yesterday and appeared in his first ATP World Tour hard court event. The British number two gained a 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 victory, winning 77% of his first service points to advance after two hours and one minute. Bedene will face 17th seed Roberto Bautista-Agut in the second round.