WASHINGTON, May 16, 2022 (by Michael Dickens)
The Hologic WTA Tour announced updates to its 2022 schedule on Monday, which includes a combination of established WTA tournaments as well as new events. The six-week fall schedule, which begins after the conclusion of the US Open and runs to the end of the season, has come into clearer focus.
“The 2022 WTA fall calendar will provide a robust amount of job opportunities for players in a regional calendar flow that will take us through to the end of the season,” said Steve Simon, WTA Chairman and CEO, in a press release on the WTA’s website. “I am extremely grateful to all of our tournament organizers for their support of women’s tennis and their commitment to staging world class Hologic WTA Tour events.”
Updates to the 2022 Hologic WTA Tour calendar include:
• Week 30 (July 25) – WTA 250 BNP Paribas Poland Open relocates from Gdynia to Warsaw, Poland.
• Week 37 (September 12) – WTA 250 Japan Women’s Open in Osaka, Japan.
• Week 38 (September 19) – WTA 500 Toray PPO Tennis in Tokyo, Japan, and WTA 250 Hana Bank Korea Open in Seoul, South Korea.
• Week 39 (September 26) – WTA 250 Tallinn Open in Tallinn, Estonia.
• Week 40 (October 3) – WTA 500 J&T Banka Ostrava Open in Ostrava, Czech Republic, and WTA 250 Jasmin Open Tunisia in Monastir, Tunisia.
• Week 41 (October 10) – WTA 500 San Diego Open in San Diego, Calif., and WTA 250 Transylvania Open in Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
• Week 42 (October 17) – WTA 1000 Guadalajara Open Akron in Guadalajara, Mexico.
The WTA fall schedule will also include a total of 12 WTA 125 events taking place in Europe and North and South America, bringing the total 125 events to at least 24 during the 2022 season.
Additionally, further updates to the WTA 2022 calendar are expected, including the location of the WTA Finals, which are set to take place the week of October 31.