De Minaur To Face Brooksby In Atlanta Open Final

Alex de Minaur (photo: Atlanta Open)

ATLANTA, July 31, 2022 (Press Release)

The singles final at the 2022 Atlanta Open is set for Sunday. This year’s ATP 250 event runs from July 23-31, as the U.S. Open Series kicks off on the North American hardcourts at Atlantic Station.

The first semifinal of Saturday saw 2019 champion Alex de Minaur take on Ilya Ivashka. The third-seeded Australian drew blood early and quickly race off to a 3-0 lead to start the match. However, Ivashka battled back to even the score at 3-all in a very high quality first set. Both players were fighting to extend each grueling rally as neither competitor could seem to gain the upper hand. At 5-5, 30-30, the match was delayed due to an incoming storm, forcing all fans and both players to evacuate the stadium.

Almost three hours passed before both players returned to the court to finish what they started. Ivashka immediately came out firing and broke the Aussie to set up a hold in order to claim the first set 7-5. The former Atlanta champ was undeterred as he fought back to go up 4-1 in the second. After showing incredible bursts of speed and passing shots that drew roars from the fans, de Minaur would secure the second set 6-2. The deciding set saw some high-quality tennis to begin, but the determination that the 23-year-old Australian showed to get to every ball proved too much for Ivashka as De Minaur eventually won the match 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 in two hours and 21 minutes. This will be the second Atlanta Open final for the young Aussie.

Later in the day, Jenson Brooksby defeated fellow US-American Frances Tiafoe 6-1, 6-4. A 20+ ball rally won by Brooksby put him ahead in the first game of the match 40-0. Such would be the theme for the majority of the match. The No. 6 seed jumped out to a 3-0 lead before Tiafoe got on the board. Following two Tiafoe double faults, Brooksby was up 5-1 and was able to close out the first set.

The second set started out more evenly with Tiafoe closing on the net for a couple of volleys. Brooksby was able to grab a break to go up 3-1. It wasn’t easy the rest of the way, but Brooksby was able to convert on his sixth match point to reach Sunday’s final after one hour and 35 minutes.