STUTTGART, April 11, 2016
Since Roger Federer announced his participation for the Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart, taking place from 4 to 12 June, the rush for tickets has been increased. The capacity on centre court has been extended from 4,500 to 6,000 seats and consequently additional tickets will go on sale.
“As the tournament changed its place in the ATP calendar and switched the surface to grass, it’s given me the opportunity to play in Stuttgar this year. I haven’t played at the venue of the TC Weissenhof so far. I am really looking forward to it,” Federer stated.
“We will build an additonal stand on centre court in order to give as many spectators as possible the chance to watch the matches,” tournament director Edwin Weindorfer told on Monday. “Last year’s inaugural event on grass with Rafael Nadal lifting the trophy at the end of the week was excellent. We will expect another great week for the 100th tournament held at the TC Weissenhof. The grass courts will be of the same quality as in Wimbledon.”
Germany’s number one player Philipp Kohlschreiber will join Federer in Stuttgart. The 32-year-old had a decent start into the season, reaching the semi-finals in Rotterdam as well as the quarterfinals in Sofia and Dubai.
“The quality of the courts as well as the atmosphere at the venue was fantastic last year, so I did not hesitate for a second to return in 2016,” Kohlschreiber explained.
Weindorfer has been on the ATP World Tour in order to have talks with further players. At the top of his wish list is promising Austrian youngster Dominic Thiem. The 22-year-old has already captured two titles in 2016, winning in Acapulco and Buenos Aires. Reaching the semis in Brisbane and Rio de Janeiro led to a current fifth place in the ATP Race.
Gael Monfils and John Isner are expected to join the entry list in Stuttgart soon. Last year’s runner-up to Rafael Nadal, Viktor Troicki, has already commited to return to the Mercedes Cup. One of the three wild cards will be saved for Juan Martin Del Potro.
“It becomes apparent that Federer will face a tough competition at his first appearance in Stuttgart. I am confident that further strong and attractive players will join the entry list in the next couple of days,” said Weindorfer. The entry deadline is on April 25.
16 times Grand Slam champions Bob an Mike Bryan will compete in the doubles draw and will also play an exhibition match on June 5. If Tommy Haas is able to start in Stuttgart, will be more than uncertain.
“Tommy is still sidelined from the courts with an injury at his right toe. In case of a surgery, Tommy will problably not be able to play here,” explained Weindorfer, who is also Haas’ manager.
For tickets go to the official website: www.mercedescup.de